Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hi, my name is Hillary, and I'm a blog-a-holic

Seriously, the title says it all. I'm addicted to reading and writing blogs! I didn't see this coming. I used to check them every couple of days to see what you lovely ladies were up to... but now I'm checking for updates at least twice a day. Oy vais. But it's fun and I appreciate being welcomed into the blogging circle:)

Last night Ben had a migraine so I was on my own in moose country (Medway) with my favorite northern Maine fella's (the Medway fire department). We altered the schedule a bit last night... skipping a Tuesday the week of the fourth of July, and perhaps adding an additional class in August. I tried to push for family services, but they really wanted to add Disaster assessment. We could really use more caseworkers up there. They're a really fun bunch of flannel clad guy guys- they keep me on my toes and we certainly have our laughs. I think they're a bit more than mildly amused that a 26 year old woman is teaching them about disasters, since they're all at least in their 40's and have been running the fire department since I was in diapers. But they are kind and care about their community, so I'm willing to overlook their slightly less then feminist perspectives.

When I got home last night, I decided to have a glass of wine (I really don't drink as much as my blog probably makes it sound like I do) and read. I got a nice copy of 'Anna Karenina' from a girlfriend on my birthday. I've set the goal to read the entire thing by the end of the summer. I'm ashamed to admit that since college, my non-red cross reading has been pretty strictly mystery novels and things from Oprah's book club. I haven't read any classic literature in years. So anyway, I snuggle into my couch with my book and my wine... and the next thing I know it, is 3am and I have fallen asleep on the couch. All the lights are on in my apartment, the glass of wine is barely touched on my coffee table, book has fallen onto the floor, and Phoebe (my cat) is sitting on the edge of the couch looking at me like I might be crazy. I chuckled and decided perhaps I need to continue reading classic literature during the day, when there is less of a chance it will put me to sleep.

The bright spot of today is wearing a new pair of linen capris pants I bought on sale this past weekend at New York & Company (my favorite store!). They are a size 8! Diet and exercise really do work! Now, I'm not going to lie, these pants quite clearly run big, because I am not a size 8, nor have I been since probably age 17. But I feel good and I'm actually feeling like I've made life changes rather than feeling like I'm constantly 'on a diet'.

Still smiling... looking forward to seeing that boy (I should probably say man, he is nearly 31) tonight. He lives about 45 minutes away, so that puts a damper on much weeknight dating. I don't want to jinx it, this is still brand new, but I'm honestly really smitten. I'm never this goo goo eyed. Ok maybe from time to time I'm goo goo eyed and girly and silly... just not recently :) I'll keep you posted on this romance... if it doesn't work out, I'm sure there will be amusing stories to come about the single life. If it does, I'll probably continue the sunshine spreading for awhile ;)

Love you both!

3 comments:

Gretchen O'G said...

Oh you are too cute. I am still laughing. I should join you on the Anna Karenina thing..I have a nice copy yet to be read..I am in book group and we do read good books but never anything like that.
WE can have the ARC blog book group
of course that book will take a year. I wish our lunch date didn't get cancelled it has put a damper on my day! ARC girl

Unknown said...

So...how did it go? Details please.

Gretchen O'G said...

apparently there was a blog on here that disappeared before I got to read it...boo hoo. At least I got the verbal details have a good weekend